I have been told, do a blog.
I will try.
Try to post as often as I am able to and answer your comments

Monday, July 1, 2013

Empire table



Couple months ago we delivered this Empire dining room table.
Our clients loves empire and asked us to create a dining room table inspired by an italian empire library table.

The top was made from solid mahogany Patrick Edwards bought in 72 or 74, I can’t remember.

The marquetry for the base was cut using the stack cutting (Boulle) technique in mahogany and ebony.
The hard part were to cut the straight lines on the greek key.

The cove marquetry were glued with Ol Brown Glue in a vacuum bag. To have the corner matching I did a do not slide prayer.

The feet for the base were carved by our friend Juan Perez inspired by a bronze we had left over from an other project


The top received a “simple” greek key pattern.

I made a jig with a japanese saw. I school and in my workshop in Paris I used a table saw with a special veneer blade and a jig, but here, at Antique Refinishers with Patrick Edwards, it is all hand tools.

Then all the pieces were organized by size and shape

Then put together on an assembly board


The rest was just glueing, sanding, pore filling



Then french polish







No comments:

Post a Comment